Friday, November 9, 2012

'Merica!

I have been in love with Europe since before I even first stepped foot onto this beautiful continent. Almost 5 years ago, I came here for the first time, and from the moment I left I just knew that I had to come back. Now, I am living here and have been for the past 2 months, and all that remains is 22 days. I didn't think that I would be as ready as I am, but I miss America. Let me tell you 9 reasons why:

1. I miss my family. And I am super thankful for Skype because that made being halfway across the globe that much easier. I mean it's Europe, so it's not like I was really that worried about being homesick over here because like I said, it's Europe. However, spending Christmas with my family is definitely something I am looking forward to!


2. I REALLY miss free water. Almost 7 years ago I decided to stop drinking soda, and since then I have had a few sips here and there, but I pretty much hate the stuff. My point is whilst in America I was accustomed to drinking water 24/7, but here I drink it only on occasion because I am stubborn and refuse to pay for it. I cannot wait to get home and drink all the water I want to without paying a dime for it.

3. I also REALLY miss not having to pay to use the bathroom. Ok, so if I am being honest it really is not the expensive over here and not every business makes you, but still. The most I have ever had to pay was maybe .40 cents, but I will definitely enjoy free, public restrooms when I get home. I will say though that 80% of the public bathrooms here are tons nicer than the ones back home. So maybe in the end paying for them is worth it... Nah. My momma taught me how to squat ;)

4. I miss cheap things. I am sure all of you already know this, but living in Switzerland is NOT cheap in the slightest. It is literally a night and day difference in prices when I travel from Switzerland to Germany and especially France. I am so going to be broke by the time I make it home. No doubt. That's the conversion rate. It gives the illusion that Switzerland is really good to the US because the exchange rate is actually pretty good, but a H&M shirt from Switzerland is normally double the price it is just across the border in Germany. It's kind of ridiculous.




5. I miss IHOP. Erin and I were discussing this today on the bus, and I cannot wait to get back to the states and have some delicious pancakes at whatever time in the morning that I want to. Fo Real. Just look at how tasty those look! I have no syrup or the correct ingredients to even make homemade pancakes. I have been deprived these last 2 months.


6. Speaking of food, I miss restaurants and businesses that are open past 6pm. Granted, we live in a super small town, so that's not really a Europe thing just a little town thing. But it will be nice to get back to America and be in almost any city where you can go to just about any store or restaurant in the evenings.

7. I miss my clothes, but most of all my shoes. Now, I know that sounds really superficial, but I only have limited options here, and even though I have gotten creative, and I have survived I cannot wait to get back home and have my full wardrobe back. Honestly, I probably could have even brought less and been fine, which goes to show and prove my mother's point that I probably have too much stuff to begin with, but still. I didn't bring a single pair of heels with me, and I so regret that decision. Coming home will just be that much sweeter because I will have so much more to wear :)

8. I miss everything being in English. I know that sounds super self centered, and I hate that it does, but German is not sticking with me. I am more than ready to go into stores and restaurants where I can not only read the signs, but I can successfully converse with the people there. In Europe's defense I have been slightly surprised at how many people know English, and honestly their English is always better than my German. But it will be wonderful when I go back home being able to understand everything. I know the basics, but even that only gets you so far!



9. I miss having my car. It stinks to ride the bus for 45 minutes when the place you are headed is literally less than 10 minutes away, but when you are at the mercy of public transportation you don't really have a choice as to how long it takes. It will be glorious to have my car back, and I will be able to drive anywhere that my little heart desires, however fast or slow I want to. Oh the freedom!

The thing is I have really, absolutely LOVED Europe, and I would not trade this experience for anything in the world, but it has made me realized how much I love my home. I have no idea when or if I will be back to this beautiful place, but I know that I want to soak up and enjoy the most that I can in these next 22 days that I have left. I will be ready to come to America when the time comes, but I don't need that time to be now. Besides I still have to experience Rome before I go home, and everyone has been telling me that Rome will be my favorite place yet. Needless to say, I CANNOT wait for that trip :) Til Next Time.

1 comment:

  1. I was only away from America for two weeks, and I still felt many of those same feelings. I know people complain about America, but I was so happy to come home! Enjoy your last few weeks! I'm sure they will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete