Saturday, September 15, 2012

Week One Down.

I have officially been out of the country for one week and approximately two days. Honestly, it seems WAY longer than that. I am not ready to go home yet by any means, if anything I am ready to experience more and see new places! I don't know what it is about traveling, but I have most definitely been bit by the travel bug because I cannot get enough. It's in my blood, and I always want more.

So, Monday was our first day of classes, which was a drag because school is not exactly something I look forward to, especially in a place like Busingen where everywhere you go there is something beautiful to see! My professor, Randy Beckum, is actually a very good teacher. I have enjoyed this week with him and his teaching. It's more or less the homework part that I do not like. His class is Global Communications/Intercultural Experience, so it's very applicable to the situation that all of us here are in. My other class is European History which is only on Wednesdays. That class is going to be interesting I believe if I can get my attention span to last longer than it normally does. Antony does a very good job teaching, and he knows what he is talking about, but I believe that's going to be a class that I am definitely going to learn how to retain things better. I have a lot more reading here than I ever did back at MNU, so I need to work out a system to ensure that I can get all of that done. My other class that I have right now is Fine Arts, but that is all online, so I am not too worried about that by any means. But no one really cares what I am doing in school, so now to the best part of my week!


This is the Glockenspiel in Munich, Germany. Left is day, and right is night. Obviously. It is my favorite place in Munich, and I saw it for the first time about 4 years ago. It's basically like a huge cuckoo clock, and when it goes off there are people (not real) that come out and dance around and its a big deal. I saw it go off the last time I was here, but this time we didn't get to the square early enough to watch it. Sad day. Anyway, as you can guess these past two days I have been in Munich. We left on Thursday and took the train, which was my first time, and I have to say it's much roomier than an airplane. It felt way long, but still enjoyable. There was not much planned for when we got there, but all did enjoy a nice meal together. I got some pasta in German (I have no idea how to spell or pronounce it) it was some Penne something or other. It was very good, but WAY spicier than I was expecting it to be! On our walk back to the hotel we saw some street performers, and they were phenomenal! The guy that was singing had an amazing voice! Needless to say they were not just some street performers. I mean they had a baby grand and everything on the street. I love that everything is within walking distance. It makes it easier to soak up all the beautiful sights. And everything is lit up at night which is even more fun! Our hotel was actually nicer than I was expecting it to be, and we attempted to watch some German televisions, but it was all way over our heads. However, we were surprised to find that all their entertainment TV was about American actors and actresses. No wonder so many people think of Hollywood and rich people when they think of America because that's all they see on TV! We were all in bed by 11pm, which I am pretty sure is the earliest I have been to sleep since being here. I got some much needed rest though.

Our last day in Munich was to be spent at Dachau, which was one of the first concentration camps to be opened in Germany. I had the opportunity to visit Dachau four years ago when I came to Europe then. This time when I walked in to the camp for the second time, it helped that I was four years older and that I already had the pictures that I wanted. It still felt surreal being there and thinking about the thousands of lives that were so mercilessly taken. Walking on the gravel, I could not help but think of how many men and women had walked the same path that I was now only 80 years later. Most of the structures are not the originals, just replicas, but the prison behind the main building and one of the crematoriums are the original foundations, and that kind of makes it all real. I would say it is an experience that everyone should had because it's one thing to learn about it in a classroom, but it's completely different learning about it while standing in the same place as those who suffered did. I think it was easier for me to process and it didn't hit me as hard the second time around, but it was very emotionally draining. I honestly do not know if I could have survived in a place like that. I would hope that I would have enough faith in God to believe that He would see me through whether on to death or life, but I have no idea how these people did it. I have such a growing respect for them, and this country.

After Dachau, we ate lunch in the cafeteria there, and then headed back to the train station to catch our ride home. I think after that experience we were all pretty worn out, and the train ride back seemed to stretch on. A few of us got a little slap happy, and I have plenty of pictures to prove that statement true. So on a lighter note I will share a few with you :)



All in all, it was great trip! I loved being able to go back to Munich, and see many of the places I had seen before. Week one is down, and I cannot wait to see what else God has in store for me while I am here. Today, I am going to learn to make pizza with a real Italian woman, so that is going to be 
D-E-licious! Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment