Sunday, September 9, 2012

New Home

So, I have officially been in the beautiful city of Busingen, Switzerland/Germany for 4 days now, and I absolutely love everything about it. The town itself is not very big, but everything is so green and all the houses are so adorable with their bay windows and flowers. In just that short amount of time I feel like I have already seen so much, but I know that there is even more to be seen and experienced. Today I actually swam in the Rhein River which was actually super fun, but also kinda cold. Katie, Cherith, and I definitely almost got attacked by a swan which was hissing at us, but it was no big deal. We survived. So far I have seen a church that was built in 1075 which was absolutely incredible because that church has been there since way before America was even established. That's a concept that is hard to wrap my brain around. We have visited the lovely city of Shaffhausen, and the view from the top of the Munot was incredible. I will share a picture with you all, so you can halfway enjoy it as well :)


That was just one side of the view, and there was obviously plenty more to see all around us. It was a phenomenal view of the city, and I was in such awe of the beauty. Surrounding this fortress there used to be a moat which now houses a family of deer. They were all congregated together, and it was pretty cute. We went into town after eating our sack lunches on the roof, and I was able to see so many of the colorful buildings that fill Schaffhausen. So many of the buildings are hundreds of years old, and the amount of history that is here is amazing. I can't wait to continue to learn more about it.

In town I purchased my first item which was a croissant with chocolate, and it was beyond delicious. Needless to say I didn't take the time to slowly savor it. I savored every bite that I took, but it didn't last long at all! Afterwards we just walked around and looked into some of the shops. I have tried to put myself on a pretty tight budget, so I didn't buy anything else. I mean I have about 92ish days left, so I have plenty of time to buy things and travel to new places :) I tried Katie's gelato which honestly I was not a huge fan of, but that may have been because the flavor was hazelnut. Cherith's chocolate, however, was delicious! We also visited some other churches, and the intricacy of them all was so much fun to look at. All the pulpits are to the side which I found interesting because so many in the states are in the middle. However, the reason they are to the side is so that the Lord's table can be in the center on it's own. Much like how Christ should be the center of our own lives. I like the idea of having the pulpit to the side. It definitely makes more sense.

Yesterday, we had a free day which I gladly took, and I slept in. It was glorious to catch up on some more sleep and continue to get adjusted to the time switch here. Some girls and I went in to another town to visit a salvation army. We also went to a dollar store where I made another purchase that I am very proud of. Cherith and I most definitely have matching mugs which I will always remember we bought them from Germany. They are what we call man mugs, and we love them! We also looked into another little shop which was similar to a Marshall's just smaller. It was a chill night on campus after we got back, and we all gathered to watch Life is Beautiful which is an Italian movie about the Holocaust. It's a wonderful movie, just extremely depressing. Afterwards, most everyone hung around in the lounge just talking and getting to know each other. I am really excited about this semester because I think that we have a really great group, and we all get along so well. We start school tomorrow, which no one is looking forward to, but I am excited to see what all is in store for us, and what God has to show me and the rest of the group for the rest of the semester! Tschuss! Til next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment