Monday, September 17, 2012

Laundry Woes

So now that I am living in German, everything that was once a simple task in America is now made harder because of the language barrier. For example, buying things in the grocery store. Sometimes you can look at the product and figure out what it is, but sometimes those German words just cause my head to spin. All the signs are in German minus one every 7 or so, and of course everyone speaks German here. I do not know German. I am learning, but my skills are very rough. I laugh at my own attempts because I sound ridiculous. But I still try all the same. Maybe by the end of my three months I will be able to actually hold a conversation or at least get my point across when I am shopping or using the bus. All of this is said to bring me to my main point: laundry.

What was once a very simple, easy task back home is now a horrifyingly, confusing process here in this little town of Busingen. First of all, the washers are the smallest I have ever seen. Second, there are only two washers for 13 people. Third, everything is written in German, so I have no idea what I am doing. I mean there are directions for us, but so far every time that I have followed them something has gone wrong. For example, tonight was my night to do laundry so around 8ish I put my only load in. Which speaking of my one load means I have to combine all my clothes into one because I don't have enough clothes to divide them into different loads. Which makes me anxious because my mom taught me to always separate my clothes, but here I don't really get choice. Anyway, I go back to check on my clothes at around 10pm, and much to my surprise I find them sitting in a pile of water and soap. Needless to say I was frustrated because I was expecting them to be done. On top of that the door to the washer would not open, and then there was lights flashing. I was getting testier by the minute, and I don't speak German so I have no idea what's going on. Finally, about 20 minutes later with the help of some others I got my laundry restarted and on the right track. It was pretty ridiculous, and it makes me hate doing laundry here already. I have only been here two weeks! It's gonna be a long semester. I miss American washer and dryers. America: 1, Germany: 0. Thankfully, I can say at 12:10am, my laundry is FINALLY done.

Here is a picture of the tricky devil:



 On the other hand, my homework has successfully not been completed, but I got some quality bonding time in with some friends. All in all, I would call my evening not a complete waste. I mean I did get to watch the season 3 premiere of Downton Abbey. That made my whole night and I received a letter from my nephew that was just precious. And let's be honest I am still in Switzerland/Germany which is just fantastic, AND I am going to Paris this week. Success. Guess I can probably survive a little laundry turmoil :) Til Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment