Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Family Affair: Part 2


To continue where I left off, Katie and I made it safe and sound to Lille, France. I believe the memories of that day will always haunt us though. Of all the people to be with when that happens though I am glad it was Katie because she is much more laid back than I am, so we worked well together.

Anyways, by the time we made it to Aunt April’s house we were all pretty wiped out, and it was definitely not a challenge to fall asleep once my head hit the pillow. The next morning I awoke to the smell of pancakes, and I thought I was in heaven. I was beyond ecstatic because if I am being honest I have really missed Saturday mornings where my mom makes homemade pancakes. I missed it when I was back in the states too. It was probably the best way to wake up considering the previous day’s awful trail of events. I had a leisurely morning, and I got to enjoy some time with my cousins, which I didn’t realize how much I had missed them. It didn’t feel like it had been 3 years since I had last seen them. Unfortunately, the kids had homework and had to stay home while Aunt April, Katie, and I took the weekend to do some sight seeing. The first thing on the schedule was Haarlem, Holland where we visited Corrie Ten Boom’s house and museum. Her house was Aunt April’s favorite, and I wish that I would have done a little more research because I have never seen the movie, The Hiding Place, which is based off of Corrie’s story. I had heard of her, but I didn’t really know all the specific details. The guide who took us through her house, and who showed us the hiding place did an excellent job of telling her story. It was very intriguing to listen to, and I gained even more respect for this woman who risked her life to save others during World War II. She opened up her home to hide and protect those that the Nazi’s were after, and even when she was caught and was sent to a concentration camp for 2 years, she never lost her faith. She was a remarkable woman.




























After visiting that museum, we hit the road again to go to our bed and breakfast, which was located still in Holland, but right next door to Zaanse Schans that we would be visiting the next morning. Our B&B was gorgeous and our window view was gorgeous. All the architecture was adorable in the area we were in, and it reminded me of little dollhouses that I used to play with as a child. It was a very quaint place that I instantly fell in love with, however there are not many places in Europe where that does not happen. We took that evening to walk around and explore the little village area we were in, and for dinner, we scouted out a Chinese restaurant in the next city over. It was my first Chinese food experience in Europe, and I knew the food wouldn’t be the same as home, but this place made me really miss my Chinese places back home. It was not bad, but it was nothing to go on about. And considering, Chinese is probably my favorite food, I can be very picky about which places are the best! After our bellies were full we enjoyed a relaxing rest of the evening before our next busy day.

Sunday, we woke up and ate breakfast prepared by the owners of the B&B. They had a spread of bread, which I am finding is very consistent in almost any European place you stay, but hey I have no complaints about that except for that croissants are my weakness. Especially when they offer nutella… It’s a combination that every person should try at least once. Anyway, after our delicious breakfast we began our day in Zaanse Schans. It is known for their windmills, which were huge, and Katie and I got to go inside one that was used for grinding up chalk. It was pretty neat to see how it worked because honestly I had no idea why people used windmills. And on top of that every windmill was unique, no two looked alike. They may have had similar characteristics, but it was fun to see all the different ones. We also were able to see a Dutch shoe making demonstration, and if I am being honest those shoes just do not look comfortable. At all. I have no idea how the workers were wearing them all day because I would have been miserable! Then we tried some different cheese in another building, and personally, I loved the smoked gouda, but really I think I would like anything smoked. And then we obviously asked to try some chocolate, milk, dark, and white because you can never have enough, and it was to die for. Seriously, I have no idea what these people do over here, but our chocolate in the states is a big thumbs down compared to the heavenly stuff here. It’s like they put a drug in it or something to make you keep eating it. It’s that good. No lie. We walked into a few more little shops, but we soon had to leave because we needed to head to Amsterdam to see the Anne Frank house.






I had no idea how I would react to seeing Anne Frank’s house because to me it felt extremely surreal to be going to the same house of the girl I had learned about growing up. It is one thing to read Anne’s book and hear her story, but it’s an entirely new level to see and stand in the actual places she did. We had to stand in line for a little bit, but to me it was completely worth it. The tour took us through her father’s offices, and then it led us into the Secret Annex. The door to the attic was hidden behind a bookshelf and you had to duck to go through the doorway leading to the attic. The hiding place itself was actually bigger than I had originally imagined it in my head, but overall it was still a very cramped place for 8 people to live like quiet mice. There is nothing in the rooms to make them look like they once did during that time and that is because Otto Frank, Anne’s father, chose to leave them bare because it is very sobering to remember back to those times. There is a model size that Otto helped designed, from his memory, of what the Secret Annex would have looked like. The room that was the most real to me was Anne’s room because the pictures and posters that she glued to her walls are still there for the most part. They are surrounded by glass, but you can still see them nonetheless. I cannot imagine going through what she did at her age and it was heartbreaking to walk through this empty place. Like I said before it was a very unreal moment to be standing in the bedroom of the girl whose diary I grew up reading. It put truth to her words that I had read before, and going through this museum affected me more than Corrie’s. One of the last areas that you walk through is the place where they keep her original diary, and I was able to see that as well as other journals she had written in for short stories and favorite quotes from books. Her house is one that I would definitely suggest visiting especially if you have read her diary because it just makes everything in her diary a reality.











We didn’t stay in Amsterdam for anything else, and I didn’t really want to stay there much longer anyway because it is not exactly known as the best city around. We drove back to Aunt April’s house, and I was able to spend some more time with my cousins before they had school the next day. I could not get over how tall Jeremy was, or the beautiful young woman that Megan had grown in to. As for the younger boys, they were still as lively as I remember them being, and I could tell they were growing into fine young boys. I really loved getting the chance to spend some quality time with them and I knew it was going to make it hard to say good-bye when Wednesday came.

Jeremy was definitely much taller than I remember him being... 
Jeremy, Megan, me, Jared, and Joshua.
Cousin Love :)
Monday and Tuesday we decided to stay closer to Lille, and so on Monday we chose to visit Brugge, Belgium. It was a very beautiful city, and the architecture was amazing to gaze upon. We didn’t have very much planned other than eating a Belgian waffle in Belgium and going into all the lace shops because lace originated from Brugge. It was fun to walk in and out of the shops and see all the decorative handmade lace pieces. While we were there I bought a hot chocolate, and I can say hands down that it was the BEST hot chocolate I have ever had. It might have had to do with the fact that Katie and I saw him pouring straight chocolate and then milk into my cup. No matter how they made it, it was delicious, and I enjoyed it immensely! We all, also, experienced a Belgian waffle, which was delectable especially with the dark chocolate and strawberries on top. I dare say it was the best waffle I have ever had, except for my Uncle Robb makes the best homemade waffles, and I would have to say I was torn between which one was better. The one in Brugge had the foreign factor to it, but either way my Uncle Robb should be proud that I just compared his waffles to those from the actual country where they were created! They were that good.



We didn’t have long in Brugge because we needed to get back to get the kids from school and it was Jeremy’s birthday, so Aunt April was making him his favorite dinner, barbeque. Just typing it and then rereading it makes my heart sing because they don’t have barbeque sauce here. I think Aunt April spoiled Katie and I because we got peanut butter and doritos this weekend too! It was a small taste of home. We ate chocolate mousse for our dessert and it was seriously one of the best things I have ever eaten, and it was just store bought so I can’t even imagine how it tastes in restaurants!  I liked my evenings at Aunt April’s because it was so laid back and stress free. Tuesday, we actually went into Lille to at least get a peek at it. It’s a beautiful city and from the city center there is so much to do to keep you busy! For lunch I finally got to experience a French crepe with nutella, and it was fantastic. However, the best part of the day was trying a macaroon for the first time. Aunt April had heard of this place called Meert, and so we went on a mission to find it. Macaroons are from Lille, so we wanted to try one because we had no idea what they were. When we found the place it was gorgeous because it still had the original cash register and designs from when they first opened in the 1700’s. I chose to try a caramel one and Aunt April tried vanilla. Let me just say that my expectations for this sandwich cookie looking thing were very low. I mean I thought I would just detest it because they look weird, and I had no idea what in the world it was, however Aunt April and I were floored. They were phenomenal! Aunt April’s was our favorite, but they were way better than what we were expecting. Aunt April definitely found herself a new shop to get her goodies from!


I wish that we could have had more time in Lille, but we had to get back, and I wanted to have some time with my cousins before leaving the next morning. But that just means I will have to be back, so I can explore the beautiful city some more. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to see my family, and getting the chance to take a look into how their lives run over here in the beautiful country of France. I hope to be back at the end of the semester, so that I can spend some more time with them because 5 days was nowhere near enough time. I am praying that God opens the doors and works it out for me to be able to come back, but we shall see. Currently, I am sitting on a train to Zurich as I write this, and I can say, thankfully, that Katie and I did not miss any of our trains this time, so I should be safely back home in about 3 hours or so. Til Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment